Monday, April 18, 2011

Belize, Oysters, and George Bailey



When I was a little kid my Mother sat me down to watch  "It's a Wonderful Life" with her. She had a thing for Jimmy Stewart and of course we couldn't miss Donna Reed. She played Mary Hatch and that was our last name.  George wanted desperatly to travel. He dreamed of far off places and they seemed to call his name. Life happened to George and he never got the chance to follow those voices (at least not in the movie but I like to think he did after the kids moved away).  That movie infected me and I too dream of far off places.








I dream of Belize!






 Belize is a English speaking country in Central America that is a lush tropical rainforest with a population of 200,000 people. It belongs to the British Empire but they rule themselves. I flunked Spanish in high school. I got a 12% (but I did it with style). So an exotic land that speaks my language seems like a dream come true. When I was 25 I was dating a loser and I was tired of my life. I decided I wasn't going to be George any longer. I was going to jump the tramp steamer and head off to Belize. I did research (because I'm anal) I had contacts and was setting up a job and a place to live. I decided I was going to move there and work my butt off saving money to open ….




Can you guess????




The anticipation must be killing you!!!




A Oyster Farm!!!!








Now I know what your thinking… That is so cool…. And it is…. I had it all figured out… How to lease a section of River from the Belizean government, the filtration system needed, capacity, a market, and even two side businesses of eco-tourism, and pearls!











 There would be a main house where I would live and a few casita's for the eco touritsts and maybe even an Oyster Bar for the villageres. It was going to be in a lovely spot called Orange Walk. (because Belize City has freakish amounts of crime)..


So, you ask yourself what happened?? Why isn't she there right now. It's been years.. Well…..




I meet a guy!


A wonderful guy that loved me and was willing to move for me.. A whole 270 miles but drew the line at another country. I married him and now have 2 wonderful babies and a townhouse that let's me practice building…


Because even though he wasn't willing to move to another country 7 years ago doesn’t mean he never will  and when he's ready


well… 


I still have my notes!

0 comments:

Post a Comment